Women in Education
- Home /
- Women in Education
All About Women, Sydney Opera House on March 4, 2018
The Sydney Opera House's annual talks and ideas festival “All About Women” is timed to coincide with events in the lead up to International Women's Day. The 2018 program, Curated by Edwina Throsby (formerly the TEDxSydney Head of Curation and founder and producer of ABC's Big Ideas) offered talks and discussions, live podcasts and group lessons exploring the ability of food to bring like-minded people together.
One of the sessions we attended was “Suffragettes to social media: waves of feminism”. The panel, chaired by Edwina Throsby included Barbara Caine, Anne Summers, Rebecca Walker and Nakkiah Lui. (Information about each of the speakers can be found here:
The panel discussed the ‘waves of feminism’ as a way to celebrate how far we’ve come and to look forward to an empowered future. Each speaker was preceded by a short animation. It was a great summary introduction to the history of Feminism by very engaging speakers.
Links to watch in sequence
- Full panel session with introduction byEdwina Throsby: https://youtu.be/R-Dlb6zt6L0
- Animation 1st wave: https://youtu.be/lW1sfaWcwdM
- Barbara Caine talking about the first wave of feminism from the 1790s to 1914: https://youtu.be/HWp-DoFnL6Y
- Animation 2nd wave: https://youtu.be/5R1vSZqjO3I
- Anne Summers talked about the second wave 1960s to 1980s: https://youtu.be/m7uGqh0EvIo
- Animation 3rd wave: https://youtu.be/gRTaoIytvAg
- Rebecca Walker the third wave in the 1990s & early 2000s: https://youtu.be/dQKgJ1PJzBs
- 4th wave – no animation available
- Nakkiah Lui the current wave: https://youtu.be/llbCCC6vsdU
To view past All About Women talks, visit the Sydney Opera House Talks and Ideas YouTube or listen on iTunes or via this link.