There’s nothing casual about teaching

April 01, 2018

What mandatory training must a casual teacher undertake?

Each year the Department issues its School Staff Training Guide, which outlines training and certification to be undertaken by school-based staff.

Before entering duty, a casual teacher may be asked to produce evidence of having completed three mandatory training requirements.

Mandatory Child Protection Training

Mandatory Child Protection Training is a compulsory annual course that reinforces the responsibility of reporting suspected risk-of-harm concerns and supporting children and young people.

It is an online course accessed by MyPL for all staff with a log-in. External users can register and access the course at

Log-in and successful completion will generate MyPL and NESA accreditation hours.

Anaphylaxis e-learning

The e-learning module has been developed to provide all staff with essential information about recognising and providing an emergency response to the life-threatening condition anaphylaxis, as well as information about key departmental policies and strategies to manage and support students diagnosed as being at risk of anaphylaxis.

All school-based staff (permanent, temporary and casual) must complete the relevant anaphylaxis module at least once every two years.

The three e-learning modules for school staff are at

E-emergency care

E-emergency care provides simple, effective treatment and management protocols to support staff in managing common emergencies. This online training closely reflects the types of illnesses, incidents and accidents that most commonly occur in schools, school activities and on excursions.

All school-based employees, including casual employees, are required to undertake this training every three years.

E-emergency care (APTSs) can be accessed at

On MyPL Ⓜ denotes a Mandatory Course and, Ⓡ denotes a Registered Course.

Other documentation required on your first day as a casual teacher can be found in the Casual and Temporary Teachers Handbook under “My Work” in the Members’ section of Federation’s website

It states:

On your first day as a casual teacher, you will need to present the following documents to your school:

  • your current Approval to Teach
  • Direct Deposit Account Details form
  • Tax File Number declaration form (including your tax file number) and Tax Withholding Declaration form
  • details of your superannuation fund if not First State Super
  • current address and contact details.

It is important to note that a Casual.Direct letter of engagement is not the same as an Approval to Teach and the Casual.Direct verification number is not a casual payroll number.

All completed forms should be forwarded by the school to the Casual Payroll team of HR Systems, Support and Development by fax on 1300 338 124 for processing.

The school will be notified of your casual payroll number within two working days of receipt of all required documents.

If you experience any difficulties when commencing as a casual teacher, contact Federation’s Professional Support section on 1300 654 367.

— Julie Moon, City Organiser and officer responsible for casual and temporary teachers


About Us

The New South Wales Teachers Federation is the registered trade union which covers NSW public school teachers. Read more

© New South Wales Teachers Federation. All Rights Reserved.

Authorised by John Dixon, General Secretary, NSW Teachers Federation, 23-33 Mary St. Surry Hills NSW 2010

Privacy Policy

© New South Wales Teachers Federation. All Rights Reserved.

Authorised by John Dixon, General Secretary, NSW Teachers Federation, 23-33 Mary St. Surry Hills NSW 2010

Privacy Policy