- Home /
Help grow union's membership
As part of the continuing implementation of the Annual Conference Decision 2004, Recruitment and Activism and the Future of the Union, the General Secretary is seeking expressions of interest from school teachers in their first few years of teaching, who believe they can make a significant contribution to the role of Project Officer.
There are three positions available for semester 2, although the committee will consider expressions of interest for one term. Applicants should indicate on the application form what terms they are interested in. Gender and equity are considered when filling positions.
The focus of Project Officers' work will be the recruitment and involvement of new teachers in Federation forums. They will work with the Trade Union Training Officer and Member-ship and Training Officer in their day-to-day work, which will include visiting schools, talking to staff and recruiting members. They will also liaise with city, country and TAFE Organisers and other Federation Officers, and are responsible to the General Secretary. Project Officers will also be involved in the promotion and delivery of Beginning Teacher conferences and courses.
It is expected members seeking these positions will have the following attributes and skills:
- commitment to public education
- excellent communication skills
- experience in Federation activities at the local level
- an understanding of the experiences of new teachers and graduates and an ability to relate to them
- ability to work as part of a team with other Officers and Association contacts and members
- public speaking skills and the ability to chair a workshop session
- a proven commitment to Federation and its policies and campaigns
- a current driver’s licence.
The Project Officers will be employed on the same basis as Officers of Federation, which will include some weekend work. They will be on appropriate leave without pay from the Department of Education as provided in the leave terms for administrative Relief Officers with Federation.
The Project Officer Restricted Committee considers the expressions of interests and makes a recommendation to the General Secretary.
Applications will close at 4pm on Wednesday, 8 May, 2019. To receive an expression of interest form, please phone Trade Union Training on 9217 2198 or email email@example.com.