- Home /
- Multicultural Education
Join Palm Sunday online action for solidarity with refugees
Spare a thought for refugees in detention where crowded conditions make it difficult to practise social distancing and reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19, says Federation Multicultural Officer/Organiser Mandy Wells.
“Harness your feelings of isolation and lack of freedom due to self-isolation/social distancing to express solidarity with refugees who continue to experience indefinite isolation as they are used and abused for political gain by the Australian Government,” she said.
Federation supports Palm Sunday Rally Sydney’s online action in support of refugees in detention, planned for Sunday, 5 April. The actual rally was cancelled as part of measures to reduce the spread of the virus.
“The detention of refugees is a humanitarian issue but the current COVID-19 pandemic makes it a public health concern too,” Ms Wells said.
“We should not let COVID-19 restrictions and our Government’s continued cruelty stop us from campaigning for a humane approach to refugees and people seeking asylum. Join the online action to show your support.”
How to take action on Sunday 5 April:
- Add our Facebook frame to your profile picture by logging into Facebook and clicking this link and searching for "Free the refugees". (This can be done in the lead up to the day to raise online awareness).
- Take a picture of yourself holding up a sign. There are signs you can print out here with one of the following statements. But if you don't have a printer just put a handwritten message on a piece of paper
a. Detention is an infection risk #freetherefugees
b. Coronavirus crisis got you feeling isolated? Imagine #7yearsisolated #freetherefugees
c. Medicare and Centrelink for all asylum seekers #freetherefugees #Notemporaryvisas
d. War creates refugees, no to Trump’s war threats #NoMoreWar
- Post to your Facebook/Instagram/Twitter account making sure to use the hashtags listed above.
- Tell your friends and family to get involved!
- Display one of our signs or other pro-refugee signs or banners in a window or outside your home.
Federation is proud to support Palm Sunday actions. We stand together to campaign for a humane approach to refugees and people seeking asylum.
You can also share this action guide from the Facebook event here.
Click here for more information on Federation’s website.
- Media Releases
- Women in Education
- Professional Learning
- Aboriginal Education
- Multicultural Education
- Special Education
- Future Teachers
- Small schools
- Special Interest Groups
- Peace and Environment
- Corrective Services
- Careers Advisers
- The President writes
- Ask Federation