As part of the continuing implementation of the Annual Conference Decision 2004 Recruitment and Activism and the Future of the Union the General Secretary is seeking expressions of interest from school teachers in their first few years of teaching who believe they can make a significant contribution to the listed Project Officer roles.
The Project Officer Restricted Committee considers the expressions of interest and makes a recommendation to the General Secretary.
There are nominally eight positions of two consecutive terms each although the committee will also consider expressions of interest for one term only. Applicants may indicate on the application form the terms in which they have an interest. An applicant could select “all terms”, meaning they could work in any of the term(s) of the school year.
Applicants should note that at least four of these positions would be for women and at least one position would be identified for an applicant who is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander member.
The focus of the work will be on the recruitment and involvement of new teachers in Federation forums. The Project Officers will work with the Trade Union Training Officer and Membership and Training Officer on the Beginning Teacher conferences and on the Beginning Teacher courses, including visiting schools, talking to staff and recruiting members. They will also liaise with city, country and TAFE Organisers and other Federation Officers and are responsible to the General Secretary.
The Project Officers will also work with the Membership and Training Officer in visiting universities for seminars and orientation days. The Project Officers will also be involved in call centre recruitment.
It is expected that members lodging an expression of interest for these positions will have the following attributes and skills:
- commitment to public education;
- excellent communication skills;
- experience in Federation activities at a local level;
- an understanding of the experiences of new teachers and graduates and an ability to relate to them;
- ability to work as part of a team with other Officers and Association contacts and members;
- public speaking skills and the ability to chair a workshop session;
- proven commitment to the Federation and its policies and campaigns;
- a current driver’s licence.
The Project Officers will be employed on the same basis as Officers of the Federation. They will be on appropriate leave without pay from the Department of Education as provided in the leave terms for administrative Relief Officers with the Federation.
Applications will close on Friday, 16 October 2015 at 4pm. To receive an Expression of Interest Form please phone Sarah Ryan on
(02) 9217 2198 or fax (02) 9217 2368 or email firstname.lastname@example.org